The Phoenix Center’s mission is to provide a well-integrated, educational and therapeutic program focusing on the development of the whole child and his or her family. Our team approach provides diversified programming with the emphasis on student independence, social-emotional growth, career development, and integrated employment opportunities. We create customized, unique and individualized programs for students ages 5-21 with autism, multiple disabilities and intellectual disabilities whose needs cannot be met in other special education settings.
Our Core Values
The reason we exist is to care for, educate, and empower our students and graduates so that they may develop life-centered skills that maximize their adaptation to adult life . . . to empower each student to rise—like the ancient phoenix—above their disabilities to achieve new levels of success and happiness. To do so, The Phoenix Center operates under the following core values:
- Each student is someone´s son/daughter, brother, sister, niece, nephew, and as such, will be treated with respect and dignity.
- We discover and focus on our students’ abilities, NOT their disabilities.
- We act with honesty and integrity in all situations.
- We live the principles of the FISH! Philosophy: choose your attitude, be present, play, and make someone’s day.
- We provide high-quality programs that are researched-based and designed to meet the individual needs of each student.
Our School Population
Of the students currently enrolled at the school:
- 62 towns in 10 New Jersey counties are represented (Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, and Union)
- More than half have a diagnosis on the autism spectrum
- Over 60% require a one-to-one paraprofessional aide
- 40% are either non-verbal or have limited expressive language
- Over 60% are 14 years old or older