The Phoenix Center Board of Directors will ensure non-biased admission practices for all students applying to The Phoenix Center. The Phoenix Center will not discriminate in its intake procedures based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, gender identity/expression or sexual orientation or sex, social or economic status, or disability.
The Phoenix Center’s intake process begins with the school district (LEA) contacting us for possible openings. The LEA sends the student file to us for a review of records. We then schedule an intake/tour with the LEA representative, parent and student. This intake consists of the student working in a classroom with an interdisciplinary intake team while the parent and LEA representative tour the program.
Placement at The Phoenix Center is contingent on the following eligibility guidelines:
- The student must be 5 through 21 years of age with a classification other than preschool disabled
- Parent/guardian agrees that their Phoenix Center tours are conducted only with verbal or written consent of the LEA
- The student must have a current IEP
- The Phoenix Center must be able to provide the appropriate programs and related services as outlined in the student’s IEP’s
- The Phoenix Center has an appropriate placement option for the student within the proper age range and classification category
- The Phoenix Center does not refuse any students based on a medical diagnosis, unless the physical space available at the The Phoenix Center would not meet physical and academic needs of the student
Please note that we partner closely with districts to make appropriate and strategic student placements. We cannot process a visit, intake, or other without that permission. We invite you to look around our website and get a feel for our programs and offerings. We ask that you speak with your district about considering us as a school for your student and having them contact us with the NJSMART State ID# for your student’s case.Tell Us About Your Student